Starter : Mushrooms a la Greque
* * * * * * * *
Main Course : Duck with Orange Sauce
* * * * * * * *
Pudding : Creme Brulee
1lboz (450g) button mushrooms
12oz (359g) tomatoes
1 onion finely chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
10floz (300ml) white wine
1 clove garlic, crushed
salt and black pepper
- Skin and quarter the tomatoes.
- Fry the onion gently in the oil until softened. Add the wine and garlic and season. Add the tomatoes and mushrooms and cook uncovered for 15 minutes
- Chill and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with brown bread and butter
1 duck (3-3.5lb or 1.3-1.6kg)
10floz (300ml) stock (made from the giblets)
2 tablespoons marmalade finely shredded
1oz (25g) plain flour
- Roast the Duck at 200C (400F, gas mark 6) for 15 minutes per 1lb (450g) plus 15 minutes.
- Whilst the duck is cooking make a good stock from the giblets
- When the duck is cooked set aside and keep warm. Pour away nearly all the fat and stir in a little flour. Blend until smooth. Add the stock gradually and bring to the boil.
- Adjust the seasoning and add the juice of one orange and the marmalade. Slice the other orange and add the pieces to the sauce.
- Serve the duck, offering the sauce separately.
10floz (300ml) single cream
2 egg yolks
1 desert spoon caster sugar
caster sugar for the caramel
- Scald the cream in a double saucepan. Add the egg yolks and stir to incorporate until just about to boil.
- Strain in to individual ramekins and refrigerate overnight.
- Dust the top of the custard with a thin layer of caster sugar so that no custard is visible. Grill until the top turns a golden brown colour. Allow to cool before serving.
Cookery Book Recommendation of the Month
River Café Cook Book Green by Rose Gray and Ruth Rogers
With over 200 new Italian recipes that focus on organic, seasonal food, Ruth Rogers and Rose Gray's "River Café Cook Book Green" will follow the "River Cafe Cook Book" and "River
Cafe Cook Book Two" as a landmark in cookery publishing.
Return to Top