Starter : Smoked Salmon & Shrimp Tartare
* * * * * * * *
Main Course : Ostrich Bourginone
* * * * * * * *
Pudding : Hot Souffle of Kirsch & Crystallised Fruits
8oz (200g) smoked salmon
6oz (125g) freshly peeled prawns
2 tablespoons capers well drained
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon french mustard
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
juice of one lemon
freshly ground black pepper
4 quails eggs
4 whole prawns
fingers of brown toast to serve
- Very finely chop the smoked salmon and prawns and put into a bowl.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together .
- Mix the dressing and chopped fish together and then divide in to 4 portions, pressing each portion in to a round shape using a fork.
- Garnish each plate with a quails egg, some capers and a whole prawn. Serve with toast.
This is the classic beef bourginone recipe using Ostrich meat instead of beef. Ostrich is low in cholesterol and fat and so is a healthy eating alternative to beef.
1lb 7oz (800g) Ostrich meat trimmed and cut in to 2 inch (5cm) cubes
2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil
6oz (175g) bacon rinded and cut into 1" x .25" strips (2.5cm x 0.5cm)
2 onions, peeled and sliced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
1oz (25g) seasoned flour
2 tablespoons brandy
5floz (150ml) stock
1 bouquet garni
10floz (300ml) red Burgundy
2 Tablespoons olive oil
half a teaspoon thyme
To serve :
1oz (25g) butter
8oz (220g) button mushrooms
8oz (220g) button onions, peeled
1 teaspoon sugar
4 tablespoons red Burgundy
finely chopped parsley
- Place the meat in a bowl, add the marinade, cover and leave for 2 - 3 hours.
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a pan, add the bacon and fry gently until browned. Transfer to a casserole. Add the onions, carrots and garlic to the pan and fry, stirring from time to time, for 10 - 15 minutes. Add to the casserole.
- Strain the marinade and reserve. Dry the meat, toss in seasoned flour. Add the remaining oil to the pan and fry meat until browned and sealed. Remove and add to the casserole. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the marinade, brandy and stock, scraping any sediment from the bottom of the pan. Return to the heat, bring to the boil and simmer for one minute stirring all the time.
- Pour in to the casserole. Add the bouquet garni and cover. Cook in a pre-heated oven at 160C (325F or Gas Mark 3) for 1.5 hours.
- Meanwhile melt the butter in a pan and fry the mushrooms and onions for 4 -5 minutes. Stir in the sugar and cook for 1 minute, add the wine and bring to the boil. Add the mushrooms and onions to the casserole. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the bouquet garni. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
3oz (85g) crystallised fruits coarsely chopped
4 tablespoons kirsch
5floz (150ml) milk
1.5oz (40g) caster sugar
half teaspoon vanilla essence
1oz (25g) unsalted butter
1oz (25g) plain flour
3 egg yolks
3 egg whites
a pinch of salt
- Put the milk in to a pan, stir in the sugar and bring to the boil. Add the vanilla essence, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter over a gentle heat. Add the flour and stir with a whisk for a few minutes to blend the mixture smoothly. Raise the heat slightly and gradually pour in the milk, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk until the mixture comes to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile prepare the souffle dish by greasing the inside with butter and sprinkle with a little caster sugar. Roll the dish around and discard any excess sugar.
- Add the egg yolks to the cooled milk mixture and stir with a whisk until well blended. Add the kirsch and stir in the chopped crystallised fruits.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C (350F or gas mark 4). In a large bowl beat the egg whites together with the salt until they form soft peaks. Mix about one quarter of the beaten whites into the kirsch mixture, then combine the mixture with the remaining whites, lifting the whites from the bottom of the bowl and folding over the top of the mixture. Transfer the mixture immediately to the prepared dish. With a knife push the mixture away from the edge of the dish so that the souffle can rise easily.
- Bake the souffle in the pre-heated oven for about 25 minutes or until fully risen.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Return to Top