Starter : Pumpkin Soup
* * * * * * * *
Main Course : Lamb Pittas
* * * * * * * *
Pudding : Sparkling Baked Alaska
3lb (1.4kg) pumpkin
1 pint (600ml) milk
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
salt and freshly ground black pepper
5 floz creme fraiche
- Remove the skin and seeds from the pumpkin and coarsely chop the flesh.
Put the flesh into a pan with the milk and cook for 20 - 30 minutes until the pumpkin is soft
- Blend the pumkin and milk mixture in a liquidiser and then return it to the pan.
add the spices, season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Stir in the creme fraiche and serve immediately with croutons and parsley sprinkled over the top.
1lb 8oz (675g) minced raw lamb
3 medium sized onions
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 teaspoons tomato puree
3 tablespoons mint
3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
7.5 floz (275ml) chicken stock
salt and black pepper
6 pitta breads, halved
- Peel and chop the onions.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onions until they have softened.
Add the minced lamb and cook until it has browned.
Add the tomato puree, mint, worcestershire sauce and chicken stock.
Season with salt and black pepper and cook over a gentle heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the lamb is tender
- Put 2 tablespoons of the filling into each pitta half, wrap in foil and heat in the oven or on the barbeque.
- Serve with baked potatoes.
large sponge flan case
large block vanilla ice cream
2 tablespoons strawberry jam
4 egg whites
8oz (225g) caster sugar
4 indoor cocktail sparklers
- Pre heat the oven to 200C (400F, Gas Mark 6)
- Spread the jam over the bottom of the flan case. Put the flan case in a dish that fits exactly so there is no gap between the flan case and the dish.
Put the ice cream into the flan case and mould into a pyramid shape.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, fold in the sugar.
Pile the meringue all over the ice cream, making small peaks in the meringue.
Cook in the oven for about 3 minutes until the meringue starts to brown.
- Put the sparklers into the alaska and light simultaneously (get someone to help you light them).
Cookery Book Recommendation of the Month
Larousse Gastronomique by Prosper Montagne
Larousse Gastronomique, the classic cookery encyclopedia, is known worldwide for its authoritative and comprehensive account of the culinary world.
Originally created by Prosper Montagne and published in 1938, Larousse Gastronomique is an invaluable source of information for the enthusiastic cook and serious gastronome alike,
whether your interest is in the mythological origins of ambrosia, or how best to use a marinade.
Revised and updated with many new entries, illustrations and charts, Gastronomique covers almost every ingredient and cooking style in history past and present, from abaisse to zuppa inglese.
Detailed information and maps of the wine producing regions of the world, includes New World producers such as Chile and Australla.
Advice on using appliances; recipes; and developments in nutrition, Larousse Gastronomique holds all the answers.
Return to Top